Sharing God’s light in Spokane, Washington.
The Spokane Washington Stake is a family of congregations in central and south Spokane organized as part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The stake was the first stake of the Church to be organized in eastern Washington. The site is not an official website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Formation of the Stake
In 1947, Elder Ezra Taft Benson and Elder Mark E. Peterson, of the Council of the Twelve Apostles, convened a special conference at the Lewis and Clark High School Gymnasium with church members from across the Inland Northwest. During the conference they organized the 168th stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Since then, 12 other stakes have grown from inside the original territory of the Spokane Stake, with over 100 congregations in three states and extending into British Columbia. Today, the Spokane Stake covers central Spokane, the South Hill, and farmland extending south along US 195 and the Palouse Highway.